Saturday bollocks

Cars cost a bloody fortune, don't they.

Mrs Buckos insurance company wrote to her to say her policy is due to expire and they don't want her custom again. Just like that. It's not even as though she's made any claims or her circumstances have changed.

We didn't bother asking why, I had trouble getting cover for my car because of the area we live in. I can't see why, we live in a nice area. I'm betting it's something to with our close proximity to Blackburn and all the crash for cash gangs, whose ethnic origin we are not allowed to mention. Fuckers.

She got a much cheaper quote from the Meercat, so it worked out in the end, it just means paying a large deposit because it's a new policy.

Her MOT runs out his month as well, so we took it in this afternoon. It didn't do too badly, considering how old and knackered it is (Don't tell her I said that!). Well, it didn't do too badly by our standards, anyway.

My dad breaks out in a cold sweat when his fails on a bulb, we usually fork out about 200 to 400 quid for an MOT. This one is looking like it will land about the bottom of that range.

The worst bits are corroded brake pipes, fuel lines and some welding. There are some cosmetic bits of corrosion that we have stuck some tape over, blocked washer jets that we have cleaned, two dodgy rear tyres that we have had changed and a dodgy rear light cluster that I've fixed.

All in all, not bad, although while working on it, I spotted that the tax also runs out at the end of Feb. It's going to be a hell of a lean month.

Insurance, tax and MOT, all due in the same month. We're going to have to do something about that.

I vote for not taxing it for another three months. Mrs B will never agree to that though, not enough of a rebel :-)

I'm off to the cut price beer shop for some cut price beer. Happy Saturday!




10 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

A few years ago I rang my insurance company to inform them of a change of car, and they refused to insure the new car. Even though I was only about 3 months into the policy, they wouldn't refund any of the premium either. OK, during that period I had had a minor at-fault accident causing maybe £500 of damage, but surely that doesn't make me an unacceptable risk. And both cars were bog-standard hatchbacks.

Bastards.

Bucko The Moose said...

That's a bit harsh, particularly not refunding you.
You're right, they can be real bastards at times.

Curmudgeon said...

Another nasty trick is jacking up your premiums if you become unemployed. While unemployed people as a group may be a worse risk, you personally aren't, and indeed are likely to be doing fewer miles.

Bucko The Moose said...

Yeah. Woman at works husband changed his job description from a van driver to a fork lift truck driver and his premium went down by £200.

I would have thought those who drive for a living would be less of a risk when insuring their personal vehicle.

My job description has been 'administrator' for insurance purposes for many years.

It's not technically cheating as I'm still a kind of glorified administrator.

Mick Anderson said...

I thought the XR4i died last year. Pleased to see the photo!

I'm stuck with trade insurance, and because of the exotica I have a seriously small choice of insurers. The last three increases were +40%, +40%, +15%; no change of circumstance or any claims.

As none of my clients have ever asked to see a copy of my policy, it's seriously tempting just to go back to "ordinary punter" insurance and rely on third party cover for other peoples cars. When the premium is racing towards £3k, it would probably work out cheaper for most potential incidents to just swallow any repair bill.

Bucko The Moose said...

Mick - Technically it died and was resurrected. When it failed it's last MOT by more than we could afford, Mrs B swapped it for a Clio with a full MOT.

She kept the Clio for six months and never liked it, but the XR came up for sale again with six months ticket left on it, so she bought it back.

He only did the bare minimum work on the XR to get it through the MOT so it still needs quite a bit doing on it.

In all she's spent a lot on that car but she loves it, it's a passion to her. I would do the same thing with the right car.

As for the insurance, it may be cheaper to do as you suggest but the problem is when you run over a kid. Even if it's not your fault the parents can still sue the insurance company, and if they refuse to pay out they can go for you instead.

It's not likely to happen but it's a risk

Mick Anderson said...

the problem is when you run over a kid

I know you and Mrs B don't want to have kids of your own, but I'm fairly sure that someone's going to object if you start bumping off other peoples (no matter how much the little scrotes deserve it)

It's a very expensive game being honest these days, but I've still kept the trade policy up. Self-preservation....

There is another nasty side to car trade policies, and that is if you wind up in Court on a motoring charge, you are often considered to be a "professional driver". Apparently this is an excuse to load up any penalty.

Bucko The Moose said...

Mick - Don't spoil our fun!

Seriously though, you're right, honesty is an expensive business. And they wonder why so many people continue to break the law.

James Higham said...

I long ago exited this merry-go-round. Now it's the bike for me.

Bucko The Moose said...

I think we'll be on it for a while yet James